Events include all celebrations, children’s events, birthday parties, theme days, awards ceremonies, festivals and sporting events held by the recreation facility.
Action 1: Discuss your Healthy Choices policy/criteria with food providers
Refer them to Eat Smart Meet Smart and introduce any provincial or territorial Nutritional Guidelines
Consider the following in your discussions with food providers:
- Healthy food and beverages to be served;
- Appropriate portion sizes;
- Pricing and affordability of for-sale healthy food choices; and
- Promotion and advertising of healthy choices.
If your event is also a fundraiser, be sure to read the segment on Healthy Fundraising for more ideas.
Sporting events are another place to encourage healthy choices. Take a look at these guidelines for sporting events for more ideas.
- Consider having a pocket market at your event to sell fresh local produce. See the Food Security segment for more information.
Action 2: Follow up
- Ensure the momentum continues and that the Healthy Choices goals are being met by volunteers and staff at all events.
Please take a look at this great video developed by Ever Active Schools in Alberta about the necessity of providing healthy food choices at sporting events. It specifically references school events but is applicable to any environment.